Wednesday, April 1, 2020

What we do

(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)

This probably should have been one of my earlier posts.

At the start of the lockdown, my main concern was to stock up on food, water and medicine; control and monitor consumption; and maintain inventory.

This is what I do on any given day since I am a housewife. Even if we have help, I am the one who cooks and buys what we need. This is why it is my name that is on the quarantine pass.

The difference under the lockdown is that I am careful to limit food runs. I have to minimize exposure to the novel corona virus and the chances of getting not only myself infected, but also the rest of the household.

The line to the grocery store extends
into the street.
When I do go out, I put on the required face mask and am careful to put some distance between myself and the next person.

I realize that I must not only get enough of what we need, I have to make it last longer. I ration food, and I can do this because I am not only the cook, I am Mommy. Try complaining and you don’t eat. Ha ha.

I keep a few snacks on hand, but I will not replenish until it is time for the next food run. Neither will I look for what is not available. Snacks are just whatever junk food is left on the shelves, even if they are not my family’s favorite brand. They get eaten anyway.

At first, I did not think snacks were essential but I soon realize that it is the only luxury left to us and frankly, something we all enjoy. A meal is a meal. A bag of Boy Bawang is a bonus.

My husband is one of the fortunate ones who is working from home. At first, I thought this meant being on call, literally just responding to calls or emails intermittently throughout the day. I am surprised to find him putting in a full day’s work every day since the lockdown.

“What EXACTLY do you do?” I ask when I find him in yet another teleconference. He barely emerges from the bedroom where he has set up office except to check if there’s a bag of chips left in the snack basket.

I am surprised that I do not find my daughter online or in front of the TV as much as I thought she would be. Her chores are minimal so she does have a lot of time on her hands. I find her reading or drawing or lately, doing some embroidery.

There is no moving-up ceremony or graduation for her and I guess, most students. There is a semblance of closure, though, since her student council put together a slideshow meant to replace the actual ceremony. The slideshow not only parades all of their photos in clusters, it also includes messages from their teachers and the student council president.

Before this, I had not entirely looked forward to attending the moving-up ceremony because parking is difficult in her school, traffic can get horrible, and seats are hard to find if you do not go early. Now, I watch the slideshow and tear up.

Other than that, it's routine. Between the help and myself, we keep the house spic and span, everyone fed and in clean and laundered clothes, the plants watered, and the dogs bathed – all the time tuned in to the news, whether it’s on TV, radio and/or the Internet. Only our daughter tunes out. She listens to music.

Weekends are different.  We either watch a movie or TV series on Netflix and/or play games. Right now, it’s “Taboo” - a word, guessing, and party game where the objective is for a player to have their partners guess the word on the player's card without using the word itself or five additional words listed on the card.

There is a lot of laughing and arguing and more laughing. Hubby and I realize that daughter’s vocabulary is rather wide and she is skillful at building a good description of the word that must be guessed without using the prohibited five synonyms or words associated with it.

We catch each other’s eye and we smile. Yes, we should have more of these moments when we interact with each other as a family. All too soon, it is time to attend Mass streamed live from the Manila Cathedral.

But before we stop playing, hubby asks that we play “Monopoly” next time. There’s a reason I did not take up Economics or a Business course. It’s the same reason I do not want to play said board game.

Mommy is mommy. It’s “Pictionary” next time. 😜

DoH update: As of 4 p.m. of April 1, 2020, the Philippines has reported 2,311 confirmed corona virus cases, including 50 recoveries and 96 deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers