Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Face Mask model


(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)

At the start of the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ), I did not wear a face mask when I stepped out of the house.

I heeded reports and public advisories, including the Department of Health’s (DoH), that said there is no need to wear one if one is not sick. I am also very mindful of the lack of face masks for medical personnel and figured that they need them more.

I did see more and more people in the groceries and markets wearing them or more accurately, wearing various versions of them. The turning point was when a military person stopped me in the wet market and politely asked me why I was not wearing one.

I told him that that I am just following DoH advice, that I am aware that frontliners like doctors and nurses and security officers like him need them more. He hesitated, but asked me firmly to wear one. I did not argue.

I dug out the surgical mask that we kept in our First Aid kit, but realized I could not wear that more than once.

AFP photo
I did not have to worry. Once it became apparent that we were not going to be able to enter grocery stores without face masks, vendors along the street outside our village gate started selling homemade, washable ones.

The cheapest went for P20 a piece; the sturdier ones cost P35 each.

I remember the first time I bought one. I was eyeing some fruits on a stall along the street when I notice cloth masks hanging nearby. When he sees me taking a closer look at the face masks, a young guy approaches me.

“Face mask, ma’am. P35 lang, maganda (beautiful),” he offers. When he sees me eyeing the surgical-looking ones that cost P20 a piece, he says, “Puwede rin yan, ma’am. Seksi yan (You can also get those. They’re sexy).”

By this time, I can tell he is gay. I turn to him in confusion. “Sexy? A sexy face mask?”

Photo c/o Ferdelyn Tabbay in ABS-CBN report
Para lang yang bra (It’s just like a bra), ma’am. Eto, fully protected ka. Kitams (See)?” He fashions two cloth masks over his chest like a bra top and turns.

He then picks up the surgical-looking P20 face masks and replaces the cloth ones on his chest. “Eto, see-through kaya seksi,” he explains, to the amusement of fellow vendors nearby and anyone within hearing.

I have to laugh. “Ano ba talaga binebenta mo (What are you really selling), face mask o bra?”

Manggaaaahh!!” he says with a flourish, sashaying down an imaginary catwalk in front of his display of mangoes on a nearby table.

He is hilarious. I buy two “sexy” face masks (because I did not like the color and  design of the cloth kind hehehe) from the real vendor and two kilos of mango from my enterprising gay friend.

I’ve seen a lot of YouTube tutorials on do-it-yourself face masks since then, and I have been meaning to make one.

Just recently, my sister showed us one she sewed by hand. It is plain and simple, just like I want and very much unlike the busy-looking ones outside.

I may just get around to it, unless the vendor outside comes up with new stock just like hers and his saleswoman of a friend models it for me.

DoH update: As of 4 p.m. of April 21, 2020, the Philippines has reported 6,599 confirmed corona virus cases, including 654 recoveries and 437 deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers