Friday, April 17, 2020

Following rules


(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)

I am so tired. I sat in line for an hour and a half to get into the supermarket. It took me about an hour to get everything I need. Then it took me about an hour STANDING in line to pay for everything.

After about 20 minutes with the line barely moving, the man behind me got smart, took the gallon of ice cream out of his cart and returned it to the supermarket freezer.

I thought I’d timed it right. I was at the supermarket at 3:15 p.m., close enough to 5 p.m., when the guards would close the doors on would-be customers to give those who were already inside enough time to do their groceries before the closing time of 7 p.m.

By the time it was my turn to pay, it was 7:35 p.m. You can bet I was watching the clock all the time. I made it home with just minutes to spare before the 8 p.m. curfew. I was all nerves. Never again.

Yes, I am one of those people who follow rules. So I get upset when I see all of these people on TV leaving their homes to play bingo with their neighbors, or attending and betting on a cockfight with their barangay chief in attendance, or having themselves tested for COVID-19 before those who show symptoms of infection.

I seethe when I see two people buying groceries together, in flagrant violation of the provision that only one person should leave the house should there be a need to get food and/or medicine.

I see what they do: One person stands in line while the other does the shopping, leaving very little time queuing up for the cashier. It is efficient. But it is unfair and crafty at this time. 

Those violating the rules do not wait long at all; they get home earlier than the rest of us. Yes, I wish them all sorts of things in my head – none of them good.

I also cannot understand why people think a barangay pass is a permit to cross to the next city just so they can get their choice cut of beef or the other luxuries they are accustomed to. I get doubly annoyed when they post a photo of the goods and I find myself green with envy.

I cannot believe the number of people who get caught on the streets past the 8 p.m. curfew and how they can look very relaxed as they justify why they are not yet inside their homes.

I only know that I drove very fast to make it home before the curfew. It was only at the sight of the village gates that I felt waves of relief wash over me, and I felt myself slowing down.

I tell you. I am so tired.

DoH update: As of 4 p.m. of April 17, 2020, the Philippines has reported 5,878 confirmed corona virus cases, including 487 recoveries and 387 deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers