Sunday, April 26, 2020

Monopoly

(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)

I could not write yesterday. I was languishing in jail. Monopoly jail, that is.

Despite earlier pronouncements, I gave in to INSISTENT demand and played Monopoly, a classic fast-dealing property trading board game.

It’s my first time playing Monopoly so I just buy everything I can, even the “cheap” ones that hubby snubs. When I land in jail, the rent they pay for landing on my properties keeps me afloat. Haha!!!

I do get out of jail eventually, but the little money I have left is spent paying hubby and daughter rent when I land on THEIR properties. 

My luck takes a turn for the worst when I get chance or community chest cards that just require me to pay taxes or fines so I am actually relieved when I throw the dice and I am sent back to jail.

This is not my idea of fun.  But it is hard not to laugh when my daughter, who plays Monopoly with her friends, is winning much to the dismay of my very competitive husband, who argues every single point and insists on checking every single payment he has to make.

Again, I get out of Monopoly jail, but my luck does not improve. I have to mortgage my properties because I can no longer pay rent every time I land on any of their properties.

Can a game get any more depressing than this? It’s not enough that I am under lockdown; I have to go broke and land in jail for amusement too. I, the cook, who still has to prepare dinner in the real world.

Things are going to get real in a little while (cue evil laughter)…😈

DoH update: As of 4 p.m. of April 26, 2020, the Philippines has reported 7,579 confirmed corona virus cases, including 862 recoveries and 501 deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers