Saturday, April 18, 2020

K-dramas


(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)

Time can really fly when you’re glued to the screen or the monitor, which is probably why so many of those forced to stay home under the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) turn to Netflix.

My sisters are among those who do, so in our video calls the talk inevitably goes to who’s watching what and which episode. These days, it’s all about Korean drama (K-drama).

L-R: Lee Min Ho (Neflix) and Hyun Bin (Esquire)
I find out I am one of those who have not watched “Crash Landing on You.” I also have to search for Lee Min Ho and Hyun Bin on Google so that I can understand why one sister “prefers” the former to the latter. I get lost when someone else mentions “Goblin”. When I find out it is the guy who stars in the movie “Train to Busan” which I really like, I am sold.

But I cannot keep up. The avowed K-drama fan mentions other titles, which I know I will not watch. The only one that is familiar to me is “Descendants of the Sun” because I read a news report of a Filipino remake, which my sister dismisses as she prefers to watch the original.

I am amused by their passion, but I do not judge them for it. I went through “Flor de Luna”, “Mulawin”, “Encantadia” before I graduated to cable TV and found “Downton Abbey”, “The Walking Dead” and “NCIS”, among others.  Now a housewife, I find that I am easily distracted so I prefer not to watch a story that stretches over numerous episodes in several seasons.

So when multi-awarded director Erik Matti takes to Twitter to express his frustration over the Filipino’s preference for K-drama, which he describes as “faux Cinderella stories with belofied actors whiter than white,” that are “all about love in the midst of this pandemic,”  I am amused.

The local film and TV industry is not doomed because South Korean series and movies dominate the top 10 most viewed shows on the streaming platform Netflix.

Netflix, despite its popularity, is not the sole barometer of our viewing preferences, especially because in our country, television still rules despite the rise of digital.  

Matti knows this, in the same way that as a director, he is very much aware of escapism - you know, the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment.

I don’t know what he was thinking, but judging from the responses, I think he is getting the attention the tweet deserves.

If he wants Filipinos to be more picky and cerebral about their viewing preferences, he should just come up with an option. Otherwise, let us be. If we do not want to view material depicting social realities, it’s because we’re in one right now, big-time.

“It is the Korean dramas that are getting me through the isolation,” is the simple explanation my sister offers when she sees his tweet.

That’s it, really. That’s all there is to it.

DoH update: As of 4 p.m. of April 18, 2020, the Philippines has reported 6,087 confirmed corona virus cases, including 516 recoveries and 397 deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers