Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Food talk

(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)

I have a friend who is my go-to resource for stuff, particularly food.

You mention a restaurant, she will tell you their best dish. Mention a dish and she'll tell you where it is available or the outlet that prepares the most delicious version of it. Mention a locality, and she will tell you what pasalubong you should bring home and where to get it.

I swear by her. She does not disappoint, especially now that some food items are hard to come by because they are off the shelves under the lockdown. She got me into Facebook and Viber food groups that I never knew existed.

I tell you, it is pure temptation. Every time I receive a message alert, I steel myself to resist wants. I go through staples like rice, fish, eggs, fruits and vegetables carefully but am quick to swipe off the tempting sight of cakes, cookies, native delicacies, Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, etc.

My friend prefers to have goods delivered because she is afraid of exposing herself to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).  I am not as open to delivery because they cost more, plus I like my fish fresh and not frozen. I also like being able to pick out fruits and vegetables in the quantities that we need.

I also think the food vendors that I frequent outside need my money more. I am nodding acquaintances with most of them and some, who I patronize, always give me a warm welcome… maybe even warmer now.

Then, there’s the chance to leave the house. With the road blocked off to vehicles, I leave the car near the gate and walk the rest of the way. I welcome the exercise. I go early when the sun is still friendly and the produce has just been laid out.

Of course, I am careful. With my quarantine pass on a string around my neck and my face mask on, I stop at stalls, careful to keep my distance from other buyers and close in only when there is space. I am careful not to touch the hand of the seller when I give money and receive change. It’s OK. I notice that they exercise the same care, too.

I do not touch my face, even when moisture starts to gather under the mask because of the humidity. I am not particularly mindful of how I look. I am in decent house clothes, just like everybody else. Besides, no one is looking. We are all just intent on buying what we need as fast as we can without getting too close to anyone.

When I have everything I need, I set the bags carefully on newspaper laid on the floor of the car. I get the alcohol and disinfect my hands before I touch the wheel. When I get home, I leave my slippers outside and get into another pair I left near the door. I then carry the bags to the kitchen where our help will clean them up as best as she can, including the surface where I laid them. She has plastic gloves on.

Meanwhile, I shower. I also disinfect my quarantine pass, the car keys, my phone and wash my face mask. I also set aside my soiled clothes and towel in a basin, to be washed separately.

I check that all food stuff has been sorted out in their shelves and containers. By this time, our help has also thrown out the newspaper on the car floor and wiped down the car door handles and steering wheel. She has also washed her hands.

The whole thing is tedious, even paranoid, I know, but necessary. Last Sunday, hubby left the house on a pretext to gas up a tank that was still almost full and came back with ice cream. He is incredulous when I make him walk into the house barefoot, get the bag from him and direct him to the shower.

Of course he resists and argues, then argues some more before he finally gives in. When he’s clean, he declares it’s the last time he leaves the house under the lockdown. Yeah, right.

Meanwhile, my phone goes off yet again and I laugh when I see that my friend has sent me a very appetizing and tempting photo of biko which she has just bought.

I tell her that if she keeps it up, I might give in. I will gain even more weight, while my wallet will get very lean.

DoH update: As of 4 p.m. of April 14, 2020, the Philippines has reported 5,223 confirmed corona virus cases, including 295 recoveries and 335 deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers