Saturday, April 11, 2020

Semantics


(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)

When someone mentions “Black Saturday,” the memory that comes to mind isn’t exactly religious in nature.

It’s about a dark-skinned childhood friend, who I greeted a “Happy Birthday” after a mutual friend told me it was her natal day. I had no idea I was being duped and the supposed birthday celebrator wasn’t amused either.

That was years ago, but memories have a way of coming up when you’ve been cooped up in the house for almost a month now. I remember Black Saturdays past when my sisters and I and our families would gather in our home province, and we would eat out in a nice restaurant. 

That seems so long ago now.

In a little while, I will go online for the Easter Vigil mass. I am ticking off all the Lenten traditions this year, some of which we did not even observe in the past – like the Easter Vigil mass.

It gives me a sense of comfort. I do not like to watch TV or Netflix for any extended amount of time. I find myself picking up the same book and starting on the same paragraph. I keep tuned to the news and the numbers just keep going up.

It doesn’t matter that it’s Black Saturday. There is no Lenten break for COVID-19. Today, the Department of Health (DoH) counts 233 new cases, bringing the country total to 4,428.

The DoH also re-classified COVID-19 cases into “suspect”, “probable” and “confirmed” today. There’s speculation that the re-classification is made because the health department is going to start mass testing, and the persons under monitoring (under the old classification) will not be included.

Oh wait. It’s not mass testing. It’s supposed to be called extended testing because it’s really just a continuation of the testing that the DoH is making, but more will be done now that there are more accredited subnational laboratories nationwide.

Semantics.  It reminds me of the effort made early on to distinguish between a lockdown and an enhanced community quarantine, when it’s really one and the same thing.

I should know. I’m under both.

DoH update: As of 4 p.m. of April 11, 2020, the Philippines has reported 4,428 confirmed corona virus cases, including 157 recoveries and 247 deaths.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers