Thursday, February 12, 2009

Adenoids

Adenoids what?

Concerned that my five-year-old daughter had sleep apnea (and not knowing better), I had her checked by her pediatrician, who dismissively said "Huh! Large adenoids!"

Sometimes, I wonder if her pediatrician knows she is not talking to a fellow doctor. She issues one-liners like I know what she's talking about, though she is quick to explain when asked.

It takes a while before i understand that adenoids are lumpy clusters of spongy tissue somewhere at the back of our throats. Like tonsils, adenoids help keep your body healthy by trapping harmful bacteria and viruses that you breathe in or swallow. Hence, adenoid tissue sometimes temporarily swells as it tries to fight off an infection. Swollen or enlarged adenoids are common. When this happens, the tonsils get swollen, too.

Yes, yes, she nods when she checks my kid's tonsil. Swollen tonsil too. Probably caused by my kid's UTI. This is the reason why my daughter snores and has trouble getting a good night's sleep. Her whole demeanor suggesting that I am overreacting, the doctor gives me a referral. Have your daughter checked, if you want -- is what she doesn't say although her body language all but shouts it.

I respect my daughter's pediatrician, but there are really times when consultations at her clinic remind me of bouts with my calculus teacher. I barely passed calculus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers