Monday, March 16, 2020

Monday blues

(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)

Today, we wake up at 7 a.m.  That doesn’t happen on a Monday morning, when hubby and daughter are usually in a rush to leave the house for work and school respectively by 6 a.m.

But school’s out and hubby is working from home today. Yesterday, the head of his firm had asked all employees working at their main office to work from home, as an employee of one of the tenants of the office building had tested positive of COVID-19. Hubby nonetheless showers and puts on clean house clothes before going online to report for work.

We check the news and as expected, there can be no social distancing with all the people lined up to board the Metro Railway Transit and the Light Railway Transit. There are a lot of complaints about people from outside Metro Manila not being able to get to work on time because they wait for a long time to undergo temperature checks and screening at checkpoints set up at various entry and exit points.

Photo by Jonas Sulit of Abante
A photo of a jeepney driver installing boxes to force passengers to sit about a meter apart trends on social media. It makes me smile. This resourceful man is still intent on earning for the day, but wants to comply with precautionary measures set by health officials.

Hubby tells me that there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 in a neighboring subdivision and I immediately check the news with a former colleague who lives there. She confirms the news and I assume she is working from home. I am startled to learn she is at the Makati office because she is into public relations and information, which can be done from home.

I go about my tasks and prepare lunch, careful to wash my hands every now and then. I check on my daughter who decides she is going to do some embroidery, which she’d always wanted to do but never had the time for. I am glad because I had already lined up something for her to do in case she is wont to lie down and just watch TV or view videos on her phone.

A report catches my attention:  a man with his grandchild in tow is unable to report for work because he is unable to show an ID for the kid, who is not old enough to attend school. He is refused entry into Metro Manila. The perplexed man wonders what ID he can show for the child. The news anchor wonders the same. Maybe a copy of the child’s birth certificate?

I get an unconfirmed report on my phone - Duterte is likely to announce a total lockdown on Metro Manila. I check my supplies and rush to the meat store, where I am able to get a few products then to the village grocery store where I get a carton of milk and four canned goods. There are only a few items on the shelves, and judging from the cart of an Indian national paying his purchases at the cashier, it’s apparent why. People are hoarding.

Since the report says people will not be allowed to leave their homes even to buy food, I proceed to the wet market outside and buy fish and eggs. Not entirely satisfied, but unable to get much else, I head home and hope I can stretch my provisions for a week or even longer, if I am prudent in apportioning food items per meal.

I text my sisters in Cebu about the unconfirmed report so they can stock up on their food provisions. The last time a general quarantine had been announced in Manila, Cebu immediately followed suit.

Photo by PCOO/Richard Madelo
as posted on "Interaksyon"
I watch the recorded announcement of Duterte and am immediately struck by how much rambling, story-telling, ranting and berating goes into the reading of a prepared official statement. I wish he would dispense with the ad lib and just stick to reading the statement.

Things are better during the presscon manned by Cabinet Secretary and Inter-Agency Task Force on the management of Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID)  Spokesperson Karlo Nograles, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo M. Año, Department of Justice (DOJ) Menardo Guevarra, and Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque.

The lockdown takes effect 12:01 a.m. of March 17 and ends 12 midnight of April 14. People are asked to stay home, although one person per household can go out only to buy food and/or health provisions. Thus, groceries, supermarkets and drug stores will still be open even if the malls are ordered closed. Restaurants are allowed to offer food takeout and delivery services, but will be prohibited from accommodating dine-in guests.

Public transportation will be suspended, even if workers involved in basic services will still be allowed to work. Local government units, particularly the barangays, will be instrumental in assessing the needs of the constituents and responding accordingly.

But given the hour of the President’s proclamation, I do not think any of them are prepared to cater to the transportation needs of those who are still called upon to work so I do not see much hope for those who live far from their places of work unless a) they own a vehicle; b) they carpool with someone who owns one; c) they avail of a shuttle service provided by their company; d) they avail of a shuttle service miraculously provided by their barangay or mayor early in the morning; and e) they walk.

We watch late into the night and fall asleep wondering how people who rely on their daily wage will be able to survive this lockdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers