Friday, March 27, 2020

Red Arm Band

(Part of an ongoing account started on March 13, 2020 of how the spread of COVID-19 in our country and our government’s response has affected our lives.)


It was during the televised “Laging Handa” press briefing last March 25 that I first saw the red arm band on Department of Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire
Photo: Screengrab from PTV
When asked about it, she says, “Ito po ay isang sensyales ng pagsuporta po natin, lalong-lalo na po sa ating mga healthcare workers, lalong-lalo na po sa ating mga namatay na doktor at doon po sa ating lahat ng healthcare workers na sa ngayon ay patuloy pa ring lumalaban , inaalagaan po ang lahat ng mga pasyente sa lahat ng ospital dito sa Pilipinas (This is a sign of our support, especially for the doctors who have died and the health workers who continue to fight and care for the patients here in the Philippines).”

She touches the red band she is wearing around her upper right arm, saying “I encourage everyone to wear this to show support for them.”

Among the frontliners who passed away during the COVID-19 war are Philippine Pediatric Society President Dr. Salvacion “Sally” Gatchalian, Pampanga health chief Dr. Marcelo Jaochico, cardiologist and internist Raul Jara, young cardiologist Israel Bactol of the Philippine Heart Center, anesthesiologist Gregorio Macasaet III of Manila Doctors Hospital, and oncologist Rose Pulido of the San Juan de Dios Hospital.

Barely an hour later, there is a Viber message from a friend, who is urging us to join a Red Ribbon campaign and show our support for those working in the health sector by tying red ribbons on our gates, cars, etc.

I support efforts to acquire or manufacture more N95 masks and personal protective equipment (PPE) for health workers. These efforts, I think, are directly felt by those who need them most.

Much as I want to, I do not have the funds to help acquire more ventilators for hospitals or provide housing for health workers near the hospitals where they work. But I laud those who can and do.

But I understand why my friend is endorsing the campaign because as she says, “at least it’s something visible for them or their families. We need to support them too with our prayers and by staying home.”

I know that several members of her family work in the frontlines. I discover that many members in a mutual FB group also have daughters, sons, cousins and other relatives who work in the health sector.

I, too, have a brother-in-law, a niece and her husband, and distant relatives who work in the health sector abroad. They will not see the red ribbon on my gate. So I also post it as my profile picture.

It costs me nothing, and it may perk up someone who sees it on my wall or an unknown health worker who lives in my village as he or she passes our gate.

DoH update: As of 4 p.m. of March 27, the Philippines has reported 803 confirmed corona virus cases, including 31 recoveries and 54 deaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers