Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sa Kabukiran

Bukid na gyud ni (This is as rural as rural goes).

Our house is surrounded by a lot of greens, but I only realized how close we are to nature when one rainy night, I drew aside the curtains to find a frog clinging to the glass window.

Accckkkkk!!!!  If there's anything I hate, it's slimy creatures.  I cannot stand frogs, lizards - any reptile, I think.  Another night, I looked out and there, on our terrace, was another frog.  Now, I check the terrace floor and sides before I go out.


One time, I peered out to see my husband, having just arrived from work, seemingly busy in the front garden.  I opened the door to welcome him and ACCCCKKKKK!!! - came face to face with a bayawak or giant monitor lizard.  I slammed the door on its face.  

In between laughing his head off, hubby later said he didn't know who was more frightened - the bayawak or me.  He had seen it and had attempted to catch it by trapping it near the front door when I opened it.  MY GAS!  WHY?  WHY ON EARTH DOES ANYBODY WANT TO DO THAT??? Hubby became serious when it became apparent he would be eating dinner alone.

I am becoming used to the winged and non-winged creatures that sometimes get into the house - moths, spiders, endless black ants.  And I am enchanted by the birds that hop on nearby trees, on the grounds, endlessly chirping and calling to each other.  I've seen a yellow bird, the black uwak, a blue and white bird, the one I call swallows that I sometimes feel will fly into my face when I am doing my afternoon walking, and some doves.

I am amazed when the help come back with mangoes (the pajo variety) and buko that they got from the trees.

Bukid na gyud ni.  It is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers