Sunday, November 1, 2009

Treating at Halloween

My daughter did not don any costume this Halloween. I did not influence her in any way, even if I do not believe in the whole Halloween thing. In fact, I took her to two malls to find her a new costume, since the first one did not have her size.

I was a bit surprised when I learned that she still did not feel like she had to do the whole costume thing, even if they had trick or treat in school. "Teacher says we can come in costume but not to buy anything new," she tells me.


"Teacher also said that we could come in our own clothes," she adds after I spend quite some time going through some boxes and the cabinets to produce not one, but two old costumes that still fit her.

Puzzled, I ask her why she did not want to wear any costume. "Aren't you going trick or treat?"

"I just want to give the candies," she tells me. So her Daddy and I go out and buy some candies then recycle last year's Halloween decor as a come-on at the gate so that on October 31, the kids will come knocking on our door.

When they do, my daughter stands on a stool and hands out candies from inside the gate through the grills because last year, it had become a bit rowdy when children from outside the subdivision came in crowds.

The candies do not last long. We had filled up three baskets and though yaya and ate controlled the pieces that Sinika gave per child, everything was gone in just a little under an hour.

Like her, many did not come in costume. But I think it was because they simply had none or the means to purchase one.

But it didn't seem to matter, based on the look on the faces of those who got candies. I guess there is some value to the whole Trick or Treat thing after all. I learned that from my child.

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to hear that she is already socially aware at such a young age. I wonder where she gets it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers