Monday, October 19, 2009

Way over

A friend once drummed up a list of things to do by the time she turned 30. I don’t think she crossed out all the items on that list by the time she celebrated her birthday. But I do remember that turning 30 was a big deal.

I celebrated my birthday just recently, and I’m way over 30. I’ve never done any lists – the only one I ever considered (and not seriously) was that outlined in a saying on achieving immortality: Plant a tree, write a book and sire a child.


I did the first early on, when it was required in school and then again and again with the company where I work now. I didn’t think I would but I’ve also done the third. I married late and now have a beautiful girl. As for the second -- I’ve been writing for a long time, but I’ve never done a book.

But I did start one when I was young and infatuated with John Taylor of Duran Duran. He was the bass guitarist of the hottest and hippest band in the 80’s, the one that churned out hit after hit after hit and revolutionized music videos as well.

Yes, I was so caught up in Nigel John Taylor that I actually started writing several chapters with me as his romantic interest. I never did finish it. I think I threw it away when my sister (I think it was the eldest) read my diary and I didn’t want her to find out about the book that was in the making.

I regret it now. I should have kept it. I sometimes come across old stuff that I’ve written and I am tickled by the concerns I had then, some of which seem trivial now while others seem just as significant today.

It’s funny how perspectives change over the years. I’d have a hard time writing a book now. I’d be too engrossed in what would be a good topic, how much I know about it, my credibility as an author…. there’d be too many considerations. But in high school, it was just about this fantasy where John Taylor was crazy about me.

So, is there any chance of me completing any lists now that I am older? I’ll just settle for something simpler but equally difficult: Take stock of my life and try to live it as best as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers