Monday, August 17, 2009

Family Day

Last August 15, we attended the annual Family Day at our kid's school. We were there at 7:30 a.m. and the first order of the day was the general assembly for the parents. It started at 9:30 a.m. or thereabouts. It took less than the waiting time and the subsequent games, even less.


It's probably unfair to compare but the only experience I can cite is that in my kid's former school. This was a smaller school, definitely, and maybe that's why it was better organized (but I still think this isn't an excuse).


In her former school, my daughter and the rest of the kids were better prepared for the games. And they got to join several games, which gave us a lot of chances to cheer her on and to coach her and to celebrate with her whatever the outcome.

Here, she got to play in only one game, which got me thinking. On Family Day, I spend an entire morning in her school for a chance to cheer her on in one game.

I think that the school needs to review and to re-think its objectives for holding a Family Day. It's a chance for parents and their kid/s to bond in the school environment. My daughter and the rest of the kids waited in the covered court while their parents were inside the auditorium for the general assembly for over 2 hours or for the greater part of the morning.

And when we were finally out, the games were such a riot. We had four or five games. The first three or four per academic level. The last for the parents. We didn't do anything together. It was such a letdown.

I am not a fan of the Family Day because I find it tiresome. I would rather bond with my daughter in my own way. But I will attend each and every time one is scheduled for my daughter's sake. I want to be there for her.

But the way it was held in my daughter's school last Saturday did nothing to change the way I feel about it. It just became even more of an obligation.

1 comment:

  1. Believe me, there will be a lot more school functions you will hate to attend even more. You will also be roped into fundraisers!

    ReplyDelete

Followers