Monday, August 10, 2009

Drowning out airplanes

I still get a high from seeing airplanes fly so low over cars just before they go over the fence and touch down on the runway on the other side.




This, despite the fact that I live near the airport and see this with regularity – not every time, but a lot of times on our way to and from home.


When we were still new in the neighborhood, my husband and I would watch out for planes in the horizon. When we’d see one about to land, hubby would drive the car slowly, just in time to get close enough to the plane as it descended to the runway behind the perimeter fence. It was amazing for us and even more for our little girl.

There were even Saturdays when we would drive to the other end of the runway where only a wire fence separated the road from the airport and we could see planes of all sizes land and take off.

When we unknowingly acquired a house that was directly in a flight path, I was dismayed by the noise. I used to wake up every morning at 4, when the first flight for the day started. More so when Christmas came and I noticed the alarm going off earlier as they added more flights to accommodate more passengers. I used to get so irritated during weekends when I’d be home and the sound of a plane’s engines overhead would momentarily cut off all conversation.

Now, I joke about the noise, telling people that I have a very expensive alarm clock. And wonder of wonders, I can even sleep late on weekends. The noise of the engines overhead still drowns out the TV during the day, but I have come to accept it.
I don’t exactly love it, but I have come to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers