Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus


Last July 12 found us attending mass at the Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus at the Newport City near Villamor Airbase, Pasay City.

In celebration of her 40th birthday, a friend was offering mass at the shrine at 12 noon. I had to look it up on the Internet since I didn't know where it was and was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was the orange (and to me) Moroccan-inspired church we'd pass to and from NAIA Terminal 3.


A new church, I thought, and air-conditioned at that! My family and I have become spoiled, enjoying the Holy Mass in air-conditioned comfort either at the St. Alphonsus Mary de Liguori Parish Church or at the Sanctuario de San Antonio Parish in Makati City. We find it easier to focus on what's being said without perspiring profusely or fanning ourselves dry.


Well, that was what happened last Sunday. We perspired profusely and perspired even more fanning ourselves dry.


Don't get me wrong. I was awed by the interior of the Church and found it really beautiful. The stained glass windows, particularly, are amazing. St. Therese of the Child Jesus is also one of the saints whose story strikes me because of the simplicity yet power of her faith -- even if I have never asked for roses for a sign from her, despite all of the stories I have heard to this effect. (hear, hear, sister!!!)

But I think they turn on the air-con only for the time slots when the Church is full -- it is huge, after all and accommodates 1,800 churchgoers. And we were only a handful attending the 12 noon mass.

Hubby, to his credit, didn't complain, though he is the type who feels the heat easily. And since I am also God-fearing, I tried very hard to put mind over matter and listen to the priest, without spraining my arm from fanning incessantly throughout the Mass.

We were there to hear mass, in celebration of a dear friend's (to me) birthday and that was exactly what we did. And since I do believe that everything happens for a reason, I thanked God for the opportunity to visit the Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus.

We had to rush to my mother-in-law's house for a family gathering after the mass so we didn't get to see the rest of the facilities -- the website says there's a columbarium, a gift shop and a cafe.

Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers