Friday, June 5, 2009

No more bottle

Last June 3, my daughter announced that she would no longer drink milk from the bottle. It came as a surprise since we were still a few months shy from her 6th birthday (my target date) and more than a year away from her 7th (her negotiated target).

She'd lost her first tooth that morning and had apparently tried to figure out why. She decided that it was the 'dede' (our term for the bottle). And since she didn't want to lose all her teeth, she was going to stop.



Of course, I was pleased. I'd been trying to get her off the bottle for a while. Plus it would be a thousand pesos off the budget. But I was also concerned about her not drinking milk.

Like all parents, I try to give her the nutrients that she needs, including faking it with the vegetables by chopping carrots into small pieces and including them in her favorite chicken noodle soup. Or being the consummate actress by pretending to enjoy them while eating a sizable amount in front of her.

She hasn't caught me out yet because we almost always have vegetables on the table with my husband being one of those beings who genuinely like digesting plants. The same goes for Ate and Yaya. So, thinking that she's the odd one out, she tries.

But it's not good enough without the milk. So now, I am trying to convince her that milk is good without the silicone. But milk in a glass? I've lost the number of times this has failed, even the times that she'd initiated it herself (after spending time with cousins who all drank milk from the glass).

Right now, I am settling for ensuring that she eats good food (even just a little a day), getting her to drink her vitamins regularly and to take in some milk (milo, or chuckie or moo in a tetra pack) every once in a while.

Anyway, it's not as if she looks like she's suffering from malnutrition. Knock on wood.







1 comment:

Followers