Thursday, June 25, 2009

Avian freeloaders

My husband and I were tickled pink when we visited the Ark Avilon Zoo recently.

On the deck of the 'ark', there is a section where 2 african spurred tortoises are exposed to the sun, wind, rain and yes -- birds.

We saw that while the tortoises were munching away at their food, the birds were just as busy feasting on food that belonged to their reptilian brothers, since it was placed within the enclosure.


Several lined up at the rim of the ark, while a few more fed. They flew in and out, accompanied by more birds, taking turns at the food.

"Nakikikain,"
my husband laughed. "Mga abusadong 'to. Nangungumbida pa!" he said, referring to the birds. (Abusive birds -- not content with eating what's not theirs, they're also inviting others to do the same!)

These are birds you find anywhere in the country - I believe these are maya birds (our former national bird before it was replaced by the more alta Philippine eagle). And I must confess that what we really found amusing was the thought that even birds here exhibit some very Pinoy traits.

These avian freeloaders remind me of gatecrashers. Nationalists might disagree with me, but this is what I see at weddings and the reason why we arrange for a buffer not only in terms of seats but also food.

Invite one and you sometimes get all -- in provinces especially where the reception is held at home or even in upper-class restaurants when the invited does not limit himself or herself to the allocated seats but feels he or she can share the experience with the grandparents, the cousins, the yayas and the offspring. And wraps a doggie bag in the process, too.

I see this at fiestas when people you don't know feel entitled to partake of your 'handa' because it is fiesta, after all. Or at a wake, especially if it's held in a house. If the house cannot accommodate all guests, tents are usually set up by the roadside to accommodate those playing cards and mahjong until the wee hours of the morning (in some cases, there's also videoke). Then it becomes a free-for-all with just about anyone having access to whatever is served.

This goes for freebies or promotional items and giveaways. Even those who are not part of the event feel entitled to one. As for the recipients - well, there have to be controls otherwise they'd claim more than their share again and again and again. If you've ever been to a relief good distribution, you will see what I mean. This is also what happens during the few times I hand out food to street beggars, only to have a multitude descend upon the car in a matter of seconds.

Here at the office, I even see employees bringing their own bottles and filling it up with the hand sanitizer that's provided per floor as a precautionary measure against A(H1N1). It doesn't matter if they are depleting the stock at the expense of colleagues who are also entitled to the supply. And these are educated people, mind you.


So excuse me if I laugh at the birds for being "Pinoy". I am one myself, remember and I have a very Pinoy sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers