Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Too much "different" on TV

I am tired of "Glee".

Although I still appreciate the great production numbers and musical arrangements, I am tired of the "underdog" handle.

I am tired of the gay being bullied, the football stars doing the bullying, the blonde cheerleaders being all snotty and all those pretty and good-looking students moping around with all those insecurities.

I am also tired of these extreme "characters" on TV who are insensitive, dumb, unkind, rude, geeky, evil even if I laugh my head off at their antics because they are such geniuses and super, super witty.


TV puts so much premium on "different".

I remember a teenage TV movie where the golden-haired beautiful senior who happens to be the class president and an A student snapped at her dark, brooding, rakista kung makaporma would-be beau. "You resent what you see, but you have no idea how hard I actually work to get good grades and to get to where I am now." Not the exact words but something like that.

All these "characters" on TV celebrate the "different" and ignore the ordinary ones. You know, those who quietly toil away at achieving their dreams without any sense of entitlement other than that if they keep at it long and smart enough, they will succeed.

But that's TV. I should just turn it off.  Or maybe stick to watching "The Walking Dead" where the characters can't worry about how they look or whether they fit in or whether they caused their parents' divorce because they can get eaten by zombies anytime.

Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers