Monday, September 7, 2009

'Could've beens'

I ran into an old friend recently. It was a surprise running into him on a busy street in Makati City. I knew him way back in college, when I was still in Cebu City.

To say that I knew him well isn’t very true. There were encounters and some calls. Let’s just say that he was a guy who could have been interesting had I been interested and had he been interested enough to make the pursuit. Let’s just say that he was one of the ‘could’ve beens’. Ask any girl. There are almost always one or two in our lives.


I remember meeting up with my hubby’s ‘could’ve been’. We’d just landed after a particularly long trip and were lining up at immigration when he apparently ran into an old friend. To say that I wasn’t looking my best was an understatement -- I lacked sleep and I showed it and I badly wanted to take a shower and clean up after sitting in a plane for hours, caring for a two-year-old. I was barely responsive when introductions were made, smiling automatically for civility’s sake.

My honest husband told me she was his ex immediately after she’d turn away to join her husband and kids, who were in another line.

THAT got me alert and furtively wiping off the oil on my nose and touching my hair before trying to casually eye her across the room. I couldn’t see much of her and I really do not remember how she looks like. All that remains is that she was a small woman.

To cut a long story short – hubby fielded all of my questions by telling me that she was no longer a ‘could’ve been’ but a ‘has been’. Oh.

1 comment:

Followers