Sunday, September 9, 2012

You're asking what?

I saw this post in Facebook today:


To all my contacts, friends, I request that: With the recent
changes in FB, now one can see things from people who are not
in your contacts list. Just because a contact of yours makes a comment or "likes" in some activity of that person. I do not want people to contact me, and would like that they not read and see all my comments and stuff. But I can not change this myself because facebook has configured it this way. But you can do it for me. PLEASE place your mouse over my name above (do not click), a window will appear and move the mouse on “FRIENDS" (also without clicking), then down to "Settings", click here and a list will appear. Click “COMMENTS & LIKE" and it would thereby remove the CHECK. By doing this, my activity amongst my friends and my family does not become public. A Thousand Thanks! Paste this on your wall for your contacts, if you care about your privacy.


I have always felt that people outside of my contact list should not have access to me without my permission.  But to my surprise, I found the post insensitive and vaguely insulting.

Maybe it was because I did not know the person who posted it.  Or maybe it was the way that it was written.  It certainly could have been phrased better because it came across as snobbish, like this person was telling me "please do this because I don't think that everyone you have access to should have access to me, even if YOU'RE on my contact list."

Or maybe it's just me. :-)

I also wondered how it worked. Was he also going to do it for every one of his friends, or was he just on a one-way street? He had hundreds of friends. Some people have over thousands...

I wondered if it would work on FB and if there was a better way to go about it.
  
In this day and age, being on FB is like being out on the street. Everyday, the minute you leave the house, you open yourself up to anything. Anything. You meet people - some you like, some you don't. YOU DEAL WITH IT.  That's how it is. You can be civil, you can be discouraging, you can ignore them -- but you don't go up to your friends and tell them "hey, do this for me so that none of your friends or relatives who are not on my contact list will have access to me".  It's just rude to me.

But then again, it's FB, it's open and it's free. There are all sorts of people on the Web and you just have to deal with them.

This guy did not even know enough to limit those who could see his post since I am not even on his contact list.  Maybe that's why he's asking his friends to do it for him.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen the above many times reposted by people who obviously just copied and pasted it without thinking about the whole concept of security settings in FB.
    We have no control over what other people do, we can only control our own action. I say to them that if they do not want anything seen by the whole wide world, they should restrict their settings......or not upload that particular post.

    ReplyDelete

Followers